Jupiter Nights is part of our annual single night even bigger astronomical extravaganza, which also follows our society’s very successful Jupiter Nights events run at Cygnus Observatory & the Washington Wetlands Centre on 10th/11th January.
Event held on Saturday, 8th February 2014, from 6:00 pm, at & in the grounds of the Nissan Sports & Leisure Complex (NSLC) .
- Suitable for all the ages.
- Lots of telescopes of all shapes and sizes
- 2 mobile planetariums available with Q&A.
- Interactive presentations & workshops with Q&A on:
- A Beginner’s Guide to the Universe, Dr Pete Edwards, Durham University;
- Introduction to Astronomy, Roy Alexander, Sunderland Astronomical Society;
- Comets, Meteors and the Rosetta mission; Dave Newton, Sunderland Astronomical Society;
- Lunar Exploration, Natalie Lowes, Sunderland Astronomical Society;
- Expertise and advice from local professional & amateur astronomers.
- Videos and Demonstrations.
- Stargazing calendars available.
- Astro-related Craft area for children.
- Bring a small torch along and convert it to an astro-friendly Red torch in the craft area.
- Hot food and drinks stalls.
- Bring suitable clothing for weather conditions.