Lectures, Events & Visits
The Cygnus Observatory will be open for use following the workshop meetings and lecture meetings, weather permitting.
2nd Sunday of the month
- Committee meetings take place from 6 pm on the second Sunday of the month.
- Workshops take place immediately after committee meetings, at 7 pm. The workshops are an ideal opportunity for beginners to ask questions, learn how to use telescopes, meet & network with the Society’s members.
- But it’s not just for beginners, if you are at a intermediate, advanced level, there is always tips/gotcha’s/etc to be learned.
3rd Sunday of the month
- Lecture meetings take place on the third Sunday of the month and usually at 7 pm.
- Lectures are outlined for each month in the Events Calendar below.
- Lectures are free to attend, but if you are not an SAS member and you enjoyed the lecture, an optional SAS donation of a few pounds to our SAS fundraising would be very welcome.
- For the full SAS programme of lectures for 2017/2018, click here.
Thursday Evenings, observatory open to public (free entry)
- The Cygnus Observatory will be open on Thursday evenings from 7 pm till 9 pm for all, given available volunteers & weather permitting.
- So anyone wanting to come down and look through the observatory telescope or just to socialise is welcome.
Deep sky observing sessions
- Usually held at one of our Dark Sky observing sites, at Derwent Reservoir (Millshield car park/picnic area), weather permitting, on weekends nearest the New Moon.
- The Society issues observing text alerts for events to all members who have signed up for the service, enquiries via the Contact form to the Chairman, Michael Tweedy.