If you have an interest in Astronomy, Cosmology, Astrophotography – or just an interest in the night sky – and want to meet like-minded people then please come along to one of our meetings.
New members are always welcome, whether you are an absolute beginner or an experienced observer. You don’t need to own a telescope.
Our membership season runs from the 1st September each year with 3 month grace period for membership renewals, and your membership also provides Public/Products Liability Insurance (PPLI) cover for members at our society events.
- Membership also enables you to join our text alert service, SAS SMS Text AleRt Service (STARS), and be kept up to date when society observing events are taking place at our observatory, dark sky sites and various astronomical events & visits throughout the season.
- You get an SAS Membership Card. Issued to for all new & current society members, with a membership card holder and lanyard (if required).
- All members are encouraged to use/display their membership cards at our SAS meet ups, visits and events at the Wetlands centre and outside.
- Access to SAS equipment.
- Access/use of Cygnus Observatory.
- Society membership includes membership to the Federation Astronomical Societies (FAS), (FAS Newsletter (3 per year) issued at SAS meetings), as well as other benefits.
- Your membership also provides Public/Products Liability Insurance (PPLI) cover for members at our society events.
You are also helping to support the society with other costs(rent for observatory, access to main building, support materials, and in supporting the local community).
Annual Membership Costs are:
- Single Membership (Adult) £15;
- Family Membership ( 2 Adults, 3 Children) £25;
- Concession Membership (Unemployed/Student/Junior/Senior) £10.
Remember, you do not have to own a telescope to become a member or attend any of our events!
If you are interested in joining Sunderland Astronomical Society please download and fill in membership form (PDF) and either:
- Complete our membership application form and hand it to a committee member at one of our regular monthly meetings or open nights.
- Alternatively, send it to Sunderland Astronomical Society at the following address:
Mr. Michael Tweedy, Chairman
Sunderland Astronomical Society
c/o Wildfowl & Wetlands Trust
Tyne & Wear, NE38 8LE