15th - 16th January: Stargazing Live Events
Your Local Events supporting the BBCs Stargazing Live TV shows.
In support of the BBC Two’s Stargazing Live shows on BBC2 on 12th to the 14th January 2016, Sunderland Astronomical Society and other invited Astronomical Society’s will be running our own Stargazing Live events on Friday 15th & Saturday 16th January 2016, from 6:30 pm.
Free Entry (Contributions to Society fundraising nonetheless welcomed).
Join local astronomers from across the North East for a fun night of assorted astronomical treats at the Cygnus Observatory at the WWT Washington Wetlands Centre.
Note: Parking is limited and once the car parks are full there will be no further admission to the event.
Powerful telescopes will be available to to view:
- Waxing crescent Moon in glorious detail.
- Uranus, seventh planet outward from the sun.
- Globular cluster, double cluster M31.
- Amazing stellar nursery, the Orion Nebula (M42).
- Andromeda Galaxy (M31)
- Gorgeous open star clusters such as “The Seven Sisters” .
- Plus many other wonders of the night sky.
- Free Entry
- Contributions to Society fundraising nonetheless welcomed.
Information & Activities:
- Suitable for all ages.
- Lots of telescopes of all shapes and sizes.
- New ”All Access” telescope available to wheelchair users.
- Interactive presentations & workshops with Q&A.
- Expertise & advice from local astronomers.
- Videos and Demonstrations.
- Astro-related quizes & prizes.
- Astronomy Supply Vendors.
- Cafe refreshments available to buy.
- Bring suitable clothing for the weather.
We need as many SAS members astronomers & volunteers as possible with & without telescopes to support these events.
High Resolution PDF of the event poster available to download.