The following attributes are expected from all committee members of the Sunderland Astronomical Society (SAS):
- Prepared, at all times, to operate within the code of conduct expected of SAS members, the SAS Constitution, including the Child & Vulnerable Persons Protection Policy.
- Prepared, at all times, to operate within the code of conduct expected of members (including the Vulnerable Persons Code).
- Adhere to the SAS Green Laser Policy at SAS events.
Events & Meetings (When possible/practical)
- Be in attendance during the majority of organised/paid events at the Cygnus Observatory.
- Be able to participate as part of our outreach programme (away from Cygnus Observatory).
- Prepared to attend and participate actively in the majority of Committee meetings (Subject to mitigating circumstances).
- Be available ahead of Lectures or meetings (excluding Committee meetings) to prepare the venue for the event.
- Be available after lectures or meetings to restore the venue to its required (former) status.
- Be available for the majority of the Thursday night meetings – Providing a point of contact for public, as a friendly, approachable, guide to members of the public at the Cygnus Observatory, including supervision of a telescope (when conditions allow) so that members of the public can view the night sky.
- Be available to open up the WWT and also close down the WWT (given training in respect of the required procedure) on regular occasions (if a key holder).
- Be available to open up the Dark Sky meeting area (if a key holder and given training in respect of the required procedure).
Maintenance (When possible/practical)
- Be prepared to help with general maintenance of the SAS areas.
- Ensure that the ‘Dugout’/ ‘Office’ is kept secure and tidy at all times.
- Ensure that, after a meeting, the Discovery room is an acceptable state for the WWT staff the following morning.
- Ensure the security of ALL SAS assets at all times
- Restrict access to the ‘Dugout’/ ‘Office’ to Committee members only.
- Be trained in the operating procedures to use the:
- 8 and 14 inch Meade telescopes.
- Operation of both the Cygnus observatory dome and the “shed”
- “All Access” SCT.
Committee Member Attributes – Download PDF.